Snort mailing list archives

Snort Bridge in Snort-IPS-Tutorial.pdf

From: B <dustythepath () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 17:45:29 -0700

Hello,

I could use some help with the Snort-IPS-Tutorial. I cant seem to get the bridge working. Every device (vswitch,port
group, virtual nic, physical Nic) has been put into promisc mode. The DAQ has been set as AFPACKET  INLINE with the
CONFIG POLICY_MODE also set to INLINE. I have started it also with -Q providing interface names colon separated along
with  -c snort.conf.  I have followed the instructions and doubled checked everything including changing the config
back and forth to IDS and IPS.

The problem won't show up in logs either. It seems snort starts and takes the bridge but the bridge never actually
works. Sometimes it will flip to sensing traffic on the busy side of the LAN (just a test machine on the other). My
HOME_NET is configured with EXTERNAL_NET as any. The set is on one lan with a piece of it (test machine) on the same
lan on the other side of the bridge. I have read others have trouble with bridging with VMware ESXI (I’m using ver.
6.5). I can just go ahead and try a linux bridge device and build the IPS with nfq but would appreciate any insight.

I would also like to to if I have compiled too much into Snort if that could cause an (this?) issue.

Thanks

Using Snort ver. 2.9.8.3(r1), which is the latest for Gentoo ; w/kernel 4.8.17