Snort mailing list archives

snort log formats: .log v.s .u2

From: Paul Li <paul () scybersecurity com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 02:09:14 -0500

I've experiencing inconsistent behavior of Snort generating log. (Using
Snort 2.9.9 on Ubuntu 14.04.)

After a fresh installation, the file format is .u2, but the log files
become .log for some reason.  One thing is consistent is that if Snort
generates .log files, it will never generate .u2 file.  I want .u2 files:
sometimes deleting .barnyard2.waldo file help, sometimes need reinstall
Snort.

Kind of feeling it's related to permission. But really not sure. Wondering
where I could find some good document about Snort generating logs.

Thanks,
Paul