Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort IPS with one NIC

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 08:23:19 -0600

On 2016-10-17 15:28, Dave Corsello wrote:
FYI - Neither the nfq nor the afpacket daq modules work with a single
interface.

I believe AWS allows you to created a virtual machine with multiple
network interfaces.  But it doesn't allow any components to be
promiscuous, so this rules out Snort IPS on a network with multiple
hosts.

I rigged up a work-around on a single-interface remote machine in which
a simple perl script monitors an alert.fast log and inserts BLOCK rules
in iptables for IPs that trigger priority 1 and 2 Snort alerts.

Blocking all priority-2-triggering IPs might be too coarse, but it's
the
best I can come up with for now.  Any suggestions?