Snort mailing list archives

Re: ERROR: Can't initialize DAQ pcap (-1) - truncated dump file; tried to read 4 file header bytes, only got 0

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:52:09 +0000

Hello Scott,

        To start snort “inline” you need to two interfaces. Based on what you have below there is only one being used.

Do you see any packets within your exit stats?

Do you have a rule setup to alert on the icmp traffic? (Snort will only log things that should be alerted on when using
IDS mode)

Albert Lewis
ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco