Snort mailing list archives

Stream preprocessor small segment port suppression

From: Andrea Venturoli <ml () netfence it>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 19:14:53 +0200

Hello.

I've got another question about Stream preprocessor...

small_segments features an "ignore_ports" options; so, for example, I
could put the following in my config:

small_segments 5 bytes 100 ignore_ports 23

The idea is that the telnet protocol will often use small packets, so
I'll just have snort live with it and don't overwhelm me with such alerts.

However, I found out that only the destination port will be taken into
account, so packets traveling from client to server will get ignored,
but packets flying from server to client (random port here!) will still
trigger the alert.

Of course "telnet" is just an example, I'm also seeing this with SSH,
NFS, VPNs, etc...

I'm wondering why only the destination port is taken into account, since
I can't see the rationale behind this choice.
Or maybe I'm doing something wrong, missing some other option,
forgetting some other thing?

  bye & Thanks
        av.