Snort mailing list archives

Snort, Squid, and TLS Interception

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 08:36:07 -0600

Hey All!

Topic says it...I've been on the Squid list to see about getting this
setup.  I've had a rockin Snort in place, and a working Squid in place
for some time.  Currently doing a peek/splice, so just seeing where it's
going, but not actual content inspection (heh....kids these days 8-|).
Now I need to do actual content inspection, which should be pretty easy
baring cert pinning.

The piece I'm missing is how to get Squid's decrypted content to Snort.
The Squid mailing list says "it depends on how your IDS does this",
which I respond with a confident "I haven't a frickin clue".  So how
WOULD this work?  I've read about ICAP and eCAP, but how can I get Snort
to "listen" or get sent the decrypted session data?

Danke :)

James