Snort mailing list archives

Re: Packet loss more than 60%.

From: fatema bannatwala <fatema.bannatwala () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 07:40:10 -0400

Yes we use PF_RING which is distributing traffic accross cores.
There are 19 snort instances running on each sensor.  The sensors have 20
cores each and one needs to
be left open for other things.  There are also 19 barnyard2 processes,
but those are doing more I/O and not as much cpu.  We could try running
more instances and see if that helps as we have 40 virtual cpus.

Also, to start with I did following ethtool settings on each box to reduce
packet loss:
$ sudo ethtool -K eth1 tx off rx off tso off gso off gro off

as it was recommended on couple of online articles that I was reading
yesterday.

We are running ET- and VRT- rule sets currently.

Thanks,
Fatema.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Joel Esler (jesler) <jesler () cisco com>