Snort mailing list archives

Probably a Dumb Question

From: Steve Thompson <stevet () copper net>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 18:03:51 -0400

I'm new to actually using SNORT. I have it running in ClearOS 6.

I've tried to figure out how to search to get an answer to my
question, but this is difficult to google.

What does it mean when snort keeps popping off with rules
violations and not one of the IP addresses is within your LAN?

The to/from IP addresses can't exist within my LAN.

I would like to think that this is telling me that I have a
problem with one of the computers/devices within my network. But
if there is no matching IP address....

So is Snort just triggering on what it sees hitting the ISP's
port to my gateway? That's kinda dumb.

Or do I have an infected machine running a VPN situation under
the covers?

Any how, I'm an accidental Linux Admin. I know enough to know I'm
dangerous.

Regards
Steve.T