Snort mailing list archives

Re: gzip decompress search fails.

From: fatema bannatwala <fatema.bannatwala () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 12:41:09 -0400

Hi Joel,

I am running snort on : Linux ubuntu 3.19.0-25-generic #26~14.04.1-Ubuntu
SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
And I installed snort using debian packages i.e by 'apt-get install snort'.
The version of snort that got installed is Version 2.9.6.0 GRE (Build 47)
I am attaching the snort.conf file that I currently have.

I tried a simple content rule and it worked fine, but when I tried rule
with "file_data" as ab attribute then it never gets triggered (I generated
the relevant traffic that should trigger that rule).
Also below are the two rules in my local.rules (first one is not working):

alert tcp any any <> any any
(msg:"SEEN-file_data-PhoneNo";file_data;content:"3028314317";nocase;sid:9000003;rev:1;)
alert tcp any any <> any any
(msg:"SEEN-content";content:"a";nocase;sid:9000002;rev:1;)

P.S: I tried all possible ways to troubleshoot this issue but couldn't make
it worked, hence thought that it could be Ubuntu snort version is broken.

Thanks,
Fatema.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Joel Esler (jesler) <jesler () cisco com>