Snort mailing list archives

Question - Testing & Packet processing Capacity of SNORT

From: SAC <schangazi () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 04:24:26 +0000 (UTC)

Hi there,
I am Sac, doing some little work in Snort (testing its performance).

Let me give some background, i am following this Publication to work on improvement of snort.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1049/iet-com.2009.0114
In which Snort is setup on a machine and packets are generated (through KUTE - installed on another machine). I have
tried to make build same environment in VMware.

My Snort is completely installed and functional and for packet generation, i am using PACKETH on a separate ubunutu
machine.
I have 2 questions to ask,

1) How can i generate high data rates of traffic (Gigabits) to be thrown to Snort?
2) And in Snort, (if those packets received), HOW can i test whether how many packets it has processed and how many
dropped.?

Can anyone help me out as how to go about it, please?
Regards.
Sac