Snort mailing list archives

Re: Test Snort

From: Russ <rucombs () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:33:13 -0400

On 7/25/16 10:04 AM, Pratibha Rajan wrote:
Hi Russ,

Thanks for responding, I did as you suggested and it seems to be stuck at:

*Commencing packet processing (pid=29664)*
This is a good sign. If you run snort in the foreground it is working, so your conf is OK etc.

when I check the /var/log/messages I see:

*: WARNING: _PATH_VARRUN is invalid, trying /var/log/ ...
: WARNING: /var/log/ is invalid, logging Snort PID path to log directory (/var/log/snort).
: Writing PID "24421" to file "/var/log/snort//snort_ens192.pid"*
This seems to be indicating a problem. Are you using --pid-path? If not, try setting that, or at least ensure that /var/log/ exists.

What do I do next?

Thanks

Pratibha.