Snort mailing list archives

Re: RELRO security in Snort-2.9.x

From: Shawn <citypw () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 18:52:19 +0800

Hi Victor,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Victor Roemer <viroemer () cisco com> wrote:
Bill,

I dont know of these options; care to point us at some literature?

Take a look:
http://tk-blog.blogspot.com/2009/02/relro-not-so-well-known-memory.html

Beside RELRO, Snort running as an important component of networking
system should take care of other major GCC mitigation like
NX/PIE/ASLR/CANARY:
http://hardenedlinux.org/system-security/2015/06/09/debian-security-chklist.html
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citypw/security-regression-testing-for-suse/master/other/vulns_hardening_assessment.log

Does this stuff prevent someone from calling mprotect and just making the
memory writable?

No, RELRO is nothing to do with MPROTECT, which u might think it is a
feature from PaX/Grsecurity.