Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort down

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 05:01:28 -0600

Try:
grep 2014141 snort.rules
And see what you find.
James
On Wed, 2016-06-15 at 16:17 +0530, ARUN LAL wrote:
No we don't do anything on the file. May be it happens after
pullderok rule updates.

@James jay we don't have multiple rules with same SID

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 3:50 PM, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
wrote:
On Wed, 2016-06-15 at 14:17 +0530, ARUN LAL wrote:
Hello Team,

Our snort service is getting down. While checking we have found
that the following.

=====================

ERROR: /etc/snort/rules/snort.rules(6053) threshold (in rule):
could not create threshold - only one per sig_id=2014141.

=====================

After uncommenting the rule in snort.rule the snort service is
running fine.

Why it happens always?? Can some explain it to me?
Regards
Arunlal
---------------
What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth
and traffic
patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and
protocols are
consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for
NetFlow,
J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using
capacity planning
reports. http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=1444514421
&iu=/41014381
rs

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the
latest Snort news!
You have duplicate rules or two rules with the same SID....sounds
like you'll want to look at your rule update process.

James