Snort mailing list archives

Activate and dynamic rules

From: Nicolas Matovelle Trigo <nicolas.matovelle () tarlogic com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 13:56:26 +0200

Hi, I've just started using snort and I can't get it working.

I've installed it in a CentOS 7.2 virtual machine and configured it to act
as gateway for other network and it works. At the first moment I set only
the following rule:

"alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg: "ICMP response";
sid:123)"

And I could saw the responses on the alert file.

But now I'm trying to use a dynamic rule like the following:

activate tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 1024 (msg:"Activating";
sid:100; activates:1;)
dynamic tcp any any <> any any (msg:"Dynamic not activated"; sid:101;
activated_by:1; count: 10000;)

The actual behavior is that snort alerts the "Activating" rule, but I never
see the "Dynamic not activated" message. The only thing not common in my
configuration is that I commented out the line "dynamicdetection directory
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules" from the snort.conf as I don't have such
directory and snort failed to start with that line.

Thanks in advance for your attention,
Nico.