Snort mailing list archives

Signature numbering significance

From: "Gardner, Warren (IHG)" <Warren.Gardner () ihg com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 15:14:54 +0000

Hello,

I've just begun to investigate some of the Snort signatures blocked by my firewall and don't really understand the
naming convention and the significance of the numbers. I read the FAQ which simply stated that number must be > 10,000
for community submitted submissions but that didn't really give me the knowledge I was looking for.

I have seen man of 1:16301:14 attempts on port 80; when I searched the snort DB it returned "Your search returned no
results". I removed the :14 hoping that might be just a submission or release number and the search returned "1-16301 -
This event is generated when an attempt is made to exploit a known vulnerability in Internet Explorer". Because it was
a port 80 request the messaged about an IE vulnerability seemed to make sense (even if it did relate to v5 and v6).

A similar thing happened with 1:21516:9 once I removed the :9 the search returned "This event is generated when an
attempt is made to exploit a known vulnerability in jboss application server."

My question is what significance to the colon separated values have(if any)? If the snort.org search returns no matches
to a signature is there anywhere else I can find more information about a signature?

Warren Gardner