Snort mailing list archives

snort honeytoken config

From: Samuel Kidman <skidman () netwealth com au>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 05:23:44 +0000

Hello

I am trying to use snort to check for certain strings leaving an MSSQL database. The idea is if these are leaving the
database then someone is doing queries they shouldn't be.

I have created a simple content rule:

alert tcp any 1433 -> any any (content: "HONEYTOKEN"; msg: "test honeytoken rule"; sid:1000001;)

If I query the database and run a packet capture on the snort machine, then feed the packet capture into snort (using
the -r switch) the rule works as expected.

However, if I run snort in IDS mode (using -i switch) then the rule isn't triggered.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

Regards, Sam