Snort mailing list archives

Re: ftp rules

From: "Al Lewis (allewi)" <allewi () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 15:41:07 +0000

For ftp (or any rule) syntax please visit the website here: http://manual.snort.org/node27.html

Here are some (ftp rules) taken from the community rules available on the snort.org website. https://snort.org/downloads

[alewis@provare community-rules]$ cat community.rules | grep ftp | more

# alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 21 (msg:"PROTOCOL-FTP ADMw0rm ftp login attempt";
flow:to_server,established; content:"USER"; nocase; content:"w0rm"; distance:1; nocase; pcre:"/^USER\s+w0
rm/smi"; metadata:ruleset community, service ftp; classtype:suspicious-login; sid:144; rev:16;)
# alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET 21 -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"SERVER-OTHER NextFTP client overflow"; flow:to_client,established;
content:"|B4| |B4|!|8B CC 83 E9 04 8B 19|3|C9|f|B9 10|"; metadata:ruleset commu
nity, service ftp; reference:bugtraq,572; reference:cve,1999-0671; classtype:attempted-user; sid:308; rev:14;)
# alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 21 (msg:"PROTOCOL-FTP .forward"; flow:to_server,established;
content:".forward"; metadata:ruleset community, service ftp; classtype:suspicious-filename-det
ect; sid:334; rev:12;)

Hope this helps.

Albert Lewis
QA Software Engineer