Snort mailing list archives

Re: Using Endace DAG vs commodify NICs

From: Evgeniy Sudyr <eject.in.ua () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:52:47 +0200

Rob,

thank you for sharing your experience!

When you saying "cards like this", does it mean that other cards like
this exist? Can you give a hint what vendors/cards you keep in mind?

Maybe I just misunderstood.

--
Evgeniy Sudyr

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 9:29 PM, Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor () gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 11:06 AM Evgeniy Sudyr <eject.in.ua () gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm planned to evaluate Endace DAG card and even got DAG 7.5G4 from
Ebay seller in Germany, but after that figured that they runs only
with propietary drivers and firmware and drivers were not included in
box and support subscription was expired in 2011.

Means I got HW which is not works and paying ~ 700 EUR for getting
updated driver and firmware make not much sense (to get support
contract from Emulex).

It will be great if someone from snort users or developers can share
some Endace DAG experience, where most interesting for me is how CPU
offloading looks in real world usage scenarios.

Second question is shorter version of previous one - does it make any
big difference to use DAG cards instead of just commodity NICs?

"It depends" ;) I find cards like this enable you to run a larger/less tuned
ruleset than you might otherwise be able to run. Where they support load
balancing then you can use them to spread the traffic across multiple
(snort) processes, or you can use the traffic cloning to ensure that Snort,
your packet capture program and so on all get identical streams.

If you're willing and able to put the effort in to tuning your install and
ruleset then you may find that a more cost effective (free other than your
time) alternative. Where you have less control over the quality of your
rules, these types of cards are very useful IMO.

Note - it's been many years since I used DAG cards with Snort.

--
 Rob MacGregor

--
--