Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about Modified Wu-Manber (MWM) algorithm

From: Russ <rucombs () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 16:52:37 -0400

Comments below.

On 9/14/15 10:37 PM, 최병권 wrote:

Hi

I'm Byungkwon and a graduate student at KAIST, Korea.
I have invented new multi-pattern matching algorithm.
Are you planning to implement your algorithm in Snort? Snort++ makes this considerably easier to do.

I have a question about Modified Wu-Manber (MWM) algorithm.
As I know, the MWM had been included in Snort from 2.0 to 2.6 and it was excluded from Snort 2.7.

When I measured the performance of MWM and compared it to that of AC (Aho-Corasick),
It shows pretty good performance and sometimes better performance than AC.
 (different according to workloads and rulesets)

*What is the reason why MWM was excluded from Snort?*
Check this out: http://sourceforge.net/p/snort/mailman/message/12248544/.
I hope you to answer at your earliest convenience.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Yours,
Byungkwon Choi