Snort mailing list archives

SSH Preprocessor bug?

From: <katwell80 () yahoo de>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:55:32 +0000 (UTC)

Hello.

I was just struggling with the ssh preprocessor because of that known ssh protocol mismatch problem.

I noticed, that there is a max_encrypted_packets which my config has set to 20. However last night I got a flood with
protomismatch messages from snort when I had a ssh connection open. Why is this triggering at all on a long-open ssh
session when the encrypt packets to check is limited to 20 after initializing the ssh connection?

I disabled the rule using threshold.conf suppress option, however I still wonder why these config options in the
snort.conf preprocessor section don't seem to work.

Greetings