Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort in a Home Network

From: Stephen Gantz <stephen.gantz () faculty umuc edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 12:54:07 -0400

It's certainly reasonable to disable preprocessors (and rulesets) that
don't apply to your environment, but don't assume that preprocessors apply
only to services and protocols that you run in your home network. Snort
preprocessors such as the ones you describe also monitor traffic from your
client computers to external servers. For example, HTTP_Inspect analyzes
network traffic sent and received when you browse a website.

To your question about disabling preprocessors, yes, you just need to
comment them out. Make sure you comment out every line for each
preprocessor you want disabled, not just the first lines with the
preprocessor declarations.