Snort mailing list archives

Re: Startup error post-package install

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:45:34 -0700

On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 12:11 -0500, Research wrote:

Hello,

I have just begun using Snort and am following along with a book (“Linux Firewalls", 4th Edition (c) 2015).  I am
currently just focussing on getting Snort up and running and plan to read the full Snort documentation set next.

Installing on Ubuntu 12.0.4.5 LTS via the following:

      sudo apt-get install snort

…installs Snort.  Verision is:

      snort -V

…returning "Version 2.9.2 IPv6 GRE (Build 78)”.

I verified in: /etc/snort/snort.conf that the ruleset that ships with the Ubuntu package is correctly referenced:

      var RULE_PATH /etc/snort/rules

I then attempted to start Snort in non-daemon mode with:

      sudo snort start -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

…however I receive the following and then termination:

      (lines omitted)
      Initializing rule chains...
      WARNING /etc/snort/rules/chat.rules(33) threshold (in rule) is deprecated; use detection_filter instead.
      ERROR: /etc/snort/rules/community-virus.rules(19) !any is not allowed: !$DNS_SERVERS.
      Fatal Error, Quitting..

At this point, however, I have not edited any of the default rules or snort.conf configuration file.

If I then run Snort in daemon mode, there is success - Snort does not terminate - and I see alerts in the snort.log
file.

What is going wrong on the non-daemon start that is causing it to terminate ?

Thanks

I suggest you reference:

https://snort.org/documents/snort-2-9-7-x-on-ubuntu-12-lts-and-14-lts

Installing and upgrading from source matches well with the speed at
which snort is updated (current version is 2.9.7....2.9.2 is ANCIENT).
I do not know of any repos that keep a current version of snort.

James