Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMTP decoder

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 19:19:42 -0500

On 2/11/2015 4:50 PM, Joel Esler (jesler) wrote:
You’ve got your two alternatives there.  Raise the limit, or suppress the alert.

Ask yourself what your action is going to be there.  “What am I going to do
about a big SMTP server command”, if the answer is “nothing”, then suppress the
alert.  If the answer is anything else, then use your best judgement as to what
action you should take.

since RFC1869 allows for a larger command line length, would it be a good idea
if snort's AMTP preprocessor allowed for different length check settings for
each of HELO or EHLO? ;)

--
*Joel Esler*
Open Source Manager

On Feb 11, 2015, at 9:51 AM, Dan Roberts <danroberts2604 () gmail com