Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard2 and Snortsam for 2.9.7.0

From: Sec_Aficionado <secaficionado () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 10:11:43 -0500

Thank you all for your replies.

@Shirkdog: what you said is what I feared but I was hoping for a different answer :)
It makes sense to move in the direction snort is going, but for small biz/soho/home networks sometimes a dedicated box
for IPS is still too much trouble.

@Ian: can you please give me more technical details, like versions used or where you are getting your sources from? Are
you using barnyard2 as the output plug-in or something more elaborate?

@Joel, snort can definitely drop packages and act as IPS, but putting it inline breaks my firewall/router
configuration. That's why I'm exploring options with an external agent/daemon directing the firewall to block/drop
traffic. Long term, the writing is on the wall. I will need to rethink my network topology, but I think I can hold off
a bit longer ;)

Sent from my mobile
Any weird stuff in the message above is autocorrect's fault