Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort with AFPacket

From: Sec Aficionado <secaficionado () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 20:44:15 -0500

Great, thank you for the explanation. NFQ was indeed my next step after
trying AFPacket. AFPacket was easier to build, but I did not realize it
might have serious side effects.

From the high level description of NFQ, it still works with iptables, but
in a more efficient manner?

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 8:17 PM, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net> wrote:

 On Mon, 2014-11-03 at 19:16 -0500, Sec_Aficionado wrote:

I'm not sure this is what you mean, please let me know if you need more info:
The box is acting as a firewall between two subnets.

eth1 is connected to a LAN with IP addresses 192.68.70.100-200/255.255.255.0 with an address of 192.168.70.179

eth0 is acting as a the DHCP server for 192.168.0.100-200/255.255.255.0 and has an address of 192.168.0.1

Before snort runs, this works OK and the two subnets are separate from each other. When snort is running, though, the
box becomes transparent and devices in both subnets can see each other. I did not expect that, but it is an effect of
the bridging.

Everything returns to normal when I stop snort.
On Nov 3, 2014, at 5:37 PM, James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net> wrote:> >> On 2014-11-03 15:24, Sec Aficionado
wrote:>> Hi there,>> >> Im following the steps outlined in the guide "Snort IPS using DAQ>> AFPacket". I compiled
snort with all the requirements and I am using>> pulledpork for the rules.>> >> When I start snort with>> snort -c
<conf path>/snort.conf -i eth1:eth0 -Q>> I do get the alerts and snort stops some traffic as expected. >>
However,>> other functions running in that box are bypassed. The machine running>> snort has a DHCP server, but
when snort is running the DHCP server is>> bypassed, so machines connected down the line get addresses from the>>
next DHCP server higher up in the hierarchy.>> >> I want to confirm that this is the expected behavior. I did not
expect>> the other functions to be bypassed, although in retrospective it >> makes>> some sense.>> >> Is there
some documentation, in addition to the manual, about this>> behavior?>> >> Thanks!> > How are the above NIC's
configured?>

Indeed that is afpacket is supposed to function.  Ideally you're on a
machine with three NIC's..one for management, and the other two acting as a
bridge.  Look at NFQ if you're going to be running this on a firewall
device.

James

Please visit http://blog.snort.org to stay current on all the latest
Snort news!