Snort mailing list archives

Error when dumping so_rules with custom path using snort 2.9.7.0

From: Sec_Aficionado <secaficionado () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 01:12:45 -0400

Hi there,

I'm migrating from snort 2.9.6.1 to 2.9.7.0 but now I am no longer able to dump the so rules.

The command I'm using is
snort -c /etc/snort.conf --dump-dynamic-rules=/var/smoothwall/snort/so_rules

Everything starts OK but the process ends with
ERROR: /etc//var/smoothwall/snort/so_rules/so_rules.rules(0) Unable to open rules file
"/etc//var/smoothwall/snort/so_rules/so_rules.rules": No such file or directory.

Fatal Error, Quitting..

I have double and triple-checked snort.conf to make sure all the paths are correct and there are no extraneous "/etc/"
anywhere, but the error persists. Is there a requirement to dump the stubs into /etc/?

Thanks in advance for your help,

SecAficionado