Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] Trying to develop a systemd snort script, running into errors removing/creating pid files

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:44:58 -0400

On 10/23/2014 3:31 PM, Josh Rosenbaum (jrosenba) wrote:
Hi Tony,

The pid file is created before Snort drops its permission to the level provided
by the ‘-u’ option.   So, in this case, the pid file is created with superuser
permissions.  Then, snort drops its permission level to the ‘snort’ user.
  Finally, when exiting, Snort does not elevate its permissions back to the
superuser.  So, the ‘snort’ user attempts to delete the pid file created and
owned by superuser.  The result is the error that you mentioned.

FWIW: we have been seeing this in our product for quite a while... there was a
patch for it at one time but i don't know what happened with it when we finally
moved from manually updated source code to automated source code updating
procedures so as to keep up with the way that snort handles its releases...

I have created a bug in our system for this problem.

thank you, sir... i'm sure it will be appreciated by many ;)