Snort mailing list archives

Snort not generating any severity

From: Khanh Tran <ktran () ktran com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:05:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Successfully installed snort (v2.9.6.2) , barnyard2 (v2-1.13) and snorby
(v2.6.2).

For testing purposes, I added this rule to /etc/snort/snort.conf :
alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"ICMP Test2"; sid:10000001; rev:1;)

With that signature, I verified snort generated events to unified2 files; and
barnyard2 successfully parsed those files to write to mysql. Snorby then
successfully displays records from mysql.

I spanned external and internal firewall interfaces to snort, and verified that
snort sees tons of traffic on its eth1 interface running in promiscuous mode.
 (See attached "Snorby Results.pdf")

I ran snort for 24 hours. Unfortunately it did NOT report any alerts or
severity! It continues to alert on my test ICMP rule but no other
records/alerts/events were written. I even ran a port scan against our firewall,
which was picked up by the firewall but not snort. What am I doing wrong??
 (I've attached my snort.conf)

Thanks in advance for the help!

KT