Snort mailing list archives

Re: basic understanding questions

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:02:51 +0000

This sounds like a homework assignment.  Is this an assignment from a University?

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager

On Sep 16, 2014, at 4:08 AM, amir levinzon <amir.h.univ () gmail com<mailto:amir.h.univ () gmail com>> wrote:

[https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif]
Hey all ,
I'm  trying to program a small sniffer that will be using the structure of snort rules.
I want it to be very small so I need rally compact code(I will use C probably ).
So i wanted to know two things
.
A. is there a place the specific which of the snort rules are the most usefull, meaning what are the most pupullar
"packets" that will be detect for the avrege web user? for the begining somthing about 20 rules will be enouge
 .
B. I need to parse the rules into a data structure .I search in forums but i  havn't found what is the actual structure
that snort use and how the packet is being parse so it "feets" the strcuture of the rule....can somone recommend on
data structure ? about parser?

Best regards,
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Amir