Snort mailing list archives

logging location

From: Sean Browne <seanpbrowne () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 21:50:09 +0100

Hi,

For testing/learning I have one rule:

alert ip any any -> any any ( msg:"Fred Alert";content:"fred";nocase; sid:
1; )

When this rule is triggered, a message is written to my /var/log/messages
file. How can I tell snort to log it somewhere else? I want to index the
alerts/messages with SPLUNK but I don't want all the other stuff found in
/var/log/messages.

I also use the command line option b so any captured data is saved in a
pcap type file.  This is completely separate right? There are the traffic
dumps in one locations and msgs/alerts somewhere else?

Many Thanks,

Sean