Snort mailing list archives

High Amount of http_inspect: OVERSIZE REQUEST-URI DIRECTORY

From: Rowell Dionicio <RDionicio () infracore net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:23:36 +0000

I'm getting a lot of false positives on: http_inspect: OVERSIZE REQUEST-URI DIRECTORY

I know it's a preprocessor analyzing http traffic where the directory string is longer than the max configured but
almost all that I have seen are legitimate web traffic.

Does this mean most of the web traffic is just pushing lots of characters into the directory string making this
inspection mostly useless? It seems that creating an alert that looks for something, a vulnerability, within the
content using pcre would make more sense.

Do most of you suppress these alerts or increase the directory length?

-Rowell