Snort mailing list archives

Re: Issues with remote syslog and snort.conf

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:13:27 +0000

Correction: "...our syslog server did NOT like..."
Sorry for the noise.

From: snort () outlook com
To: jlay () slave-tothe-box net
CC: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Issues with remote syslog and snort.conf
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:10:49 +0000

Hi James,
Currently we use this method for remote syslog. We also have the same warning but it still works. On another post (On
Wed, Jul 2, 2014), someone said "Sending syslog messages directly from Snort is like ages old and deprecated". I did
not see the announcement of it being deprecated, however, we use it and it still works. The reason we are still using
it instead of Barnyard2 is that our syslog server did like either syslog message formats sent from Barnyard2.