Snort mailing list archives

Re: -S and ipvar vs. var

From: "Joel Esler (jesler)" <jesler () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:58:23 +0000

Well, in recent versions of Snort, there is no such thing as “Var” for an IP or port variable.  just portvar and ipvar

On Jul 22, 2014, at 6:19 PM, Duane Howard <duane.security () gmail com<mailto:duane.security () gmail com>> wrote:

Thanks Joel,

I'm aware of -S, my real question is around whether -S is (internally) treated like 'var' or 'ipvar', and if it's 'var'
is there a notable downside to using 'var' vs. 'ipvar' in this context?

./d