Snort mailing list archives

hi

From: westlake <westlake2012 () videotron ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 00:32:53 -0400

hi, i'm new to snort and would like an opinion on how secure is a snort
sensor itself? Has there ever been a compromise of a snort sensor? By
having a sensor on a hypervisor I'll prevent wasting cpu instead of
allocating sensors for each VM. The hypervisor main network interface
where all traffic is inbound from the internet will not have any IP
address on it which imho makes it ideal for snort(though it can be
reachable through a secondary tap device Private IP network which is
connected to one of the VMs). I couldn't find information on this type
of setup, so I'm wondering what else I could be missing without getting
too fussy about it. If this seems too risky of an exploit and special
crafted packet that can compromise a snort sensor then I guess this
isn't the way for me to use it. If it is not possible to compromise a
sensor then I don't see any harm using it this way but I can't find any
information about this.  I suppose it's like saying is it possible to
"attack" tcpdump while it is scanning packets, most likely not, but I
just want to know if anybody knows of any exploits and whether or not
this is actually a safe way to implement snort.  If I shouldn't use
snort like this then I guess I will have no choice but to implement
snort in each VM and go the longer route for the safest setup. I hope
someone understands me what I'm going after, not snort rules, and a lot
of configuration setups that can be done with it, but something more
substantial to the security of its installation.

thanks