Snort mailing list archives

Re: Dynamic Rule [X:XXXXX] was not initialized properly.

From: Jeff Meigs <jmeigs () sunwestecu com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 15:18:38 +0000

From: Jeff Meigs
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 9:10 AM
To: 'Joel Esler (jesler)'
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Dynamic Rule [X:XXXXX] was not initialized properly.

All Paths were Correct. The rules at the bottom located in SO_RULES_PATH where already uncommented. I can't figure this
out. Thing is, it's only occurring on 2 out of 3 of our IDS units. All units have the same files. I went through them
line by line. How we pull the rules, the paths, everything. All the same.

Here is some more info though. The Error only occurs at a specific time. Presumably the time the rules are downloaded.
It will throw the error like 50+ times  for 3 specific rules(3:29908, 3:16533, 3:8351). I've even tried suppressing
these rules to no avail. These errors are all created at the same point in time.  This just started happening about a
week ago. We have made no adjustments to any file.

Jeffrey Meigs
IT Operator/Junior Programmer
SunWest ECU