Snort mailing list archives

Snort treat drop rule as Wdrop but still send back ICMP unreachable

From: 朱以静 <zhuyijing168 () 163 com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 16:34:15 +0800 (CST)

Dear all,
I encountered one problem when I use snort. I configure snort adapter mode to inline and the policy mode to
inline_test, then the drop rules should be token as Wdrop, right?

Here is the command line I used to start snort:
snort -b -q -i eth0:eth1 -l /snort.log --daq-dir /lib/daq --daq afpacket -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -Q

And the drop rules I added:
drop icmp any any -> any any (msg: "user defined rules triggered"; sid:28899)

here is the topo:
pc1(eth0) <---> (eth0) Snort (eth1) <---> (eth0)pc2

Then I ping pc2 from pc1:
Snort log the message to /snort.log/alert as Wdrop. And pc1 can get the reply from pc2, but another ICMP unreachable
packet also got on pc1 eth0.
here is what I captured.

And my question is why the ICMP unreachable should be sent? Actually the traffic is not dropped, I only want snort to
log the message.
The behavior looks strange, right?

Thanks!