Snort mailing list archives

Re: AANVAL or MYSQL question

From: "Gierczak, Stan" <SGierczak () presencehealth org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:39:41 +0000

Sorry, this is where you are losing me, I think.
What I believe the answer is that barnyard2 is being run as a service.  The executable that was created is from the
install guide at
http://wiki.aanval.com/wiki/Community:Snort_2.9.2.3_Installation_Guide_for_Ubuntu_12.04,_with_Barnyard2,_Pulledpork,_and_Aanval
Step 12 under the barnyard section.

Do not have a Waldo file.

Below is a snipped of the syslog.

Apr 17 09:16:15 rlicsnortids1 barnyard2[1459]: Barnyard2 initialization completed successfully (pid=1459)
Apr 17 09:16:15 rlicsnortids1 barnyard2[1459]: WARNING: Unable to open waldo file '/var/log/snort/eth0/barnyard2.waldo'
(No such file or directory)
Apr 17 09:16:15 rlicsnortids1 barnyard2[1459]: Opened spool file '/var/log/snort/eth0/snort.log.1397741834'
Apr 17 09:16:15 rlicsnortids1 barnyard2[1459]: Closing spool file '/var/log/snort/eth0/snort.log.1397741834'. Read 0
records
Apr 17 09:16:15 rlicsnortids1 barnyard2[1459]: Opened spool file '/var/log/snort/eth0/snort.log.1397744166'
Apr 17 09:16:15 rlicsnortids1 barnyard2[1459]: Waiting for new data

This is a listing of the dir:

root@rlicsnortids1:/var/log/snort/eth0# ls -al
total 109308
drwxr-xr-x 3 snort snort      4096 Apr 17 09:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 snort snort      4096 Apr 16 08:01 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root  root  110186861 Apr 17 11:34 alert
drwxr-xr-x 2 snort snort      4096 Apr 17 09:16 archive
-rw------- 1 snort snort   1720205 Apr 17 11:34 snort.log.1397744166
root@rlicsnortids1:/var/log/snort/eth0#