Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question regarding $HOME_NET

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 20:03:06 -0400

On 6/24/2014 3:34 PM, Charlie Egan wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble when it comes to using $HOME_NET & $EXTERNAL_NET in my
rule header.

In my snort.conf file, I have my settings as;

ipvar HOME_NET 192.168.207.0/24 <http://192.168.207.0/24>

ipvar EXTERNAL_NET any

For some reason though, when I'm using these in my rules, my rules don't work at
all. I'm able to use the EXTERNAL_NET option in my rules, although the HOME_NET
isn't working whatsoever.

$EXTERNAL_NET is encompassing your $HOME_NET... change it to !$HOME_NET and see
what happens...