Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help! I ran Nessus Vulnerability Scanner against my Public IP and No Alerts showed up on my Snort IDS box!

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 15:53:27 -0600

On 2014-04-07 15:40, Teo En Ming wrote:
But alerts are not showing up when I ran nessus against my home
network. Sigh.

Teo En Ming

Teo,

I think most first time users of snort fall into this as well.  Look at
your HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET.  Mine are:

ipvar HOME_NET 192.168.1.0/24
ipvar EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET

This says "home_net is my ip addresses, external_net is everything
that's NOT my addresses".

Now look at almost any snort rule:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"......

This says "alert if an external_net on any http_ports comes into my
home_net on any port".

So if you're scanning anything IN HOME_NET TO HOME_NET, nothing will
fire.  Does that make sense?

James