Snort mailing list archives

Re: [snort-devel] Dynamic Pre-process to decipher packet information

From: Emiliano Fausto <emiliano.fausto () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:59:04 -0200

Hi,

I saw the preprocessor rpc_decode, which does something very similar to
what I was needing to do.

Taking this preprocessor as example, I could figure it out what I was
looking for.

We can close this thread,
thanks!

Emiliano.

PS: Thanks to Hui Cao who oriented me.

2014/1/6 Emiliano Fausto <emiliano.fausto () gmail com>

Hello there,

I'm trying to build a dynamic pre-processor which takes every packet
before the SNORT engine, then decipher certain information which come
ciphered inside the packet and put it back into the SNORT.

I've seen that I'm able to deciphered the information and print it with
logMsg() inside the preprocessor, and also send a syslog alert, but what
I'd really want to do is to put it back into the snort engine so that this
packet deciphered is being analyzed with the snort rules.

Something like this:

CIPHERED PKT ---> MyPreprocessor ---> DECIPHERED PKT --> SNORT engine rules

Does anyone know how to do it, or recommend some starting point?

Thanks in advance,
Emiliano.