Snort mailing list archives

Re: getting a full copy of pcap for forensic purpose from Snort

From: "Long, Kerry S" <kslong () mitre org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 13:48:14 +0000

I looked at daemonlogger before.  I looked kind of cool.  Not sure how I get it to listen to the interface to dump
packets, while at the same time feeding snort with it in real time. I could have both Snort and daemonlogger read from
the same interface. However, I have been cautioned by others and seen it myself that having 2 processes listening to
the same interface at the same time can cause competition which can cause packet loss for one or both of the listening
processes.  So I don't know if it is permissible to have  both processes listening on the interface at the same time.
Won't that just guarantee packet loss or is this not as much of concern anymore with multiple core machines?

Thanks,

Kerry