Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort CPU consumptions

From: Balasubramaniam Natarajan <bala150985 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 09:14:57 +0530

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Patrick Mullen <pmullen () sourcefire com>wrote:

Hello!

This is a good question, and the answer may not be what you expect at
first.

The "problem" is that snort checks the port LAST*, so that rule would, in
fact, be seen as a poor performer.  The reason we check the port last is
because we found that with properly written rules, the port check would
almost always succeed.  Early versions of snort checked ports first and it
was actually slower overall this way.

Wow superb this is the answer I was looking for :-),  If you have it at the
top of your head as to which version onward the port check was pushed to
LAST please key it in ?

It's worth noting that your example rule would be a poor performer
regardless of the pcre used because it doesn't have a content match, which
means it would enter on EVERY packet, especially since you also didn't
include a "flow" option.  All rules should have a good content match that
will help snort know if it should bother evaluating any of the rule options
and a flow option to further reduce the number of packets it evaluates.

The rule specified in my email trail is not the one I use in production.  I
created it as an example just to ensure that it looks like a worst
performer [?]

(*) Rules that use some preprocessors, like http_inspect, in some ways
effectively check the port first because http_inspect has its own rule
option tree and that tree is only run on ports that are seen and/or
configured as http, but in general you should never assume the port
specification is going to provide any performance benefits.

Thanks,

~Patrick

--
Patrick Mullen