Snort mailing list archives

Re: file carving

From: Hui cao <huica () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:11:00 -0500

Hi Kerry,

When file signature or file capture in enabled, it only logs files that in the blacklist/greylist to minimize the performance impact logging all files. You can put the SHA into the blacklist /grelist to get it blocked/logged.

If you only enable file type, you can log file type alerts. File type alerts (for each file type rule) are similar to snort preprocessor rules. You have to enable them by creating alert rules. Ideally, you want to have some files with types like PDF, EXE etc, not picture files (BMP, JPEG etc). We just use this way to enable/disable file type alerts/logs

Best,
Hui.