Snort mailing list archives

Re: Allowing windows updates to pass through snort

From: "Tony Reusser" <treusser () filertel com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:10:38 -0700

Also, I think I mis-read your original post.  Your SNORT isn't running ON a
Windows platform (wasn't familiar with pfsense until I looked it up)...But
rather configured "inline" in IPS mode.  Can't help you there other than
recommended you use it strictly in "sniffing" mode as a IDS until you learn
to tweak the rules to your liking.

SNORT is merely a curiosity and an interesting analysis tool for me.  I have
"better" products for IPS that are less quirky and easier to manage.

Hope you didn't take my original reply wrong.

Good luck.

        -Tony