Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re-Compiling Snort?

From: Y M <snort () outlook com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:13:11 +0000

Hi Matt,

Snort's support for MySQL is deprecated since Snort version 2.9.3. What probably you want is to output to unified2
format and let Barnyard2 parse the logs and insert them into the database. If the sole purpose of recompiling Snort is
to add MySQL support, then you do not need to reconfigure things.

If you are configuring Snort version 2.9.6.0 for the dynamic plugin, you may get this (I do):

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-dynamicplugin

I believe this is built-in/hardened now, but I am not sure . You may find more information about this in the changelog.

Regarding the reconfiguration in general, you can reconfigure Snort on the same box , then use make clean, make install
and the compiled binary should be replaced.

YM