Snort mailing list archives

Re: getting sensitive-data cc# alert to fire

From: "jason" <jason () mangdub com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 20:40:49 -0500

Thanks for that - I was using 2> /dev/null from the troubleshooting steps in
that 2011 thread I found:
http://seclists.org/snort/2011/q1/983

in that thread he uses 2> and gets the alert and the output? They did add
LOG_ERR to the syslog config to fix their issue which I tried as well:
output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT LOG_ERR

When I run this again using 1> I get all the snort config output but still
no alerts.

My 1 rule (to rule them all):
alert tcp any any <> any any (sd_pattern:1,credit_card; classtype:sdf;
msg:"Credit Card number detected in plaintext"; gid:138; sid:8000001;
rev:2;)

Initializing rule chains...
1 Snort rules read
    1 detection rules
    0 decoder rules
    0 preprocessor rules
1 Option Chains linked into 1 Chain Headers
0 Dynamic rules

Sensitive Data preprocessor config:
    Global Alert Threshold: 3
    Masked Output: DISABLED

I'm now wondering if the stream is not being reassembled properly and
therefore doesn't trip the luhn algorithm.

I'm going to play with Stream5 depth/length settings next but any other
insights are of course welcome as I try to get this working.

Again thanks all for the replies, it's really appreciated :)

I will update if I make any headway
Jason