Snort mailing list archives

Re: Periodic save rule profiling logs

From: Ayodele Okeowo <aymacro () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 09:58:10 -0500

Kiryukhin,

If I understand your question; you want to be able to see the Snort alerts
real-time while you are running snort in Daemon. There are 2 ways to do
this.

Option 1. *tail -f /var/log/snort/alert - *you can run this on a seperate
terminal or the same terminal if you are not doing anything on the Snort
box.

Option 2. include the *-A console* switch (an awesome switch) to the snort
line which will output the alerts in real-time. However, if you are running
Snort in Inline (IPS) mode, I wouldn't recommend using the switch; from my
experience you won't get any alerts logged to your MySQL database.

Ayo