Snort mailing list archives

Re: Feedback on rule testing

From: Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:04:57 +0000

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM, James Dickenson <jdickenson () gmail com> wrote:
Hey snort users,

I've been talking with some co-workers recently about our in house rule
development and about ways we could possibly improve it.  I was wondering if
any of you on the snort user list could give us your experience in regards
to the process of creating rule you use at where you work or that you submit
to ET or VRT.  How do you sanity check the rules before you push them to
your sensors?  Do you have a formal lifecycle process and what does that
entail?  Do you automate the process somewhat with scripting or software and
if so how?

Your suggestions and comments are much appreciated,

We run things through 3 automatic steps before we deploy them:

1) Syntax checking (dumbpig and similar)
2) Run through snort with -T to ensure it compiles
3) Deploy to a testing sensor (with live traffic) for 5 minutes and
check the volume of alerts - anything above a defined volume is
automatically rejected and whatever happens the submitter is provided
the flows that hit if any did (this can be over-ridden by an admin if
it turns out they're all true positives and our network is hosed)

We're looking at the option of providing a pcap of known malicious
traffic to confirm the signature fires on the traffic - haven't got
there yet though.

After a signature has deployed we track the true/false positive ratio
(according to the analyst interface), anything above a certain FP
ratio or volume gets flagged automatically for attention, there are
other limits for simply removing the signature. Every 6 months they
have to be reviewed to confirm they should remain deployed (ok,
there's an assumption it's actually reviewed and that the author
hasn't just claimed they have) - that's still a manual process though.

This has, overall, kept our in house signatures to a fairly high
standard. There are still issues, but mandatory training, having
experienced staff check other's signatures and using the ban-hammer on
repeat offenders means that those are minimised these days. Nobody
wants to be the one person in the team who isn't allowed to write
signatures ;)

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor