Snort mailing list archives

Re: Feature request: isdataat ability in specific (preprocessor) buffers

From: Bad Horse <b4dh0rs3 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:07:35 -0400

Hi Joe, sorry for the late response.  I appreciate you Sourcefire guys (or
is it Cisco now?) looking at this.

I have to be honest here ... I have been following this list and/or
contributing to the other Snort/I[DP]S mailing lists for many years. It
seems that almost everytime there is a valid bug or feature request, you
respond with a vague reference to, "the next big thing", or "coming soon",
or "exciting new enhancements", etc. that will solve all problems.  These
replies are, for the most part, unpalatable.

I am not in any way disagreeing with what you say or arguing that such
claims do not come true. What I am (more) concerned about is the fact that
the promise of future fixes highly stinks like pedestrian vendors trying to
save face and make a "buck" wherever they can ... I worry that now that
Sourcefire is owned by Cisco, they will become even more vendor-odorous
(not to mention odious in terms of timely open source bug
fixes/enhancements) and lose the flexibility to properly respond to
customer needs.

I am thankful for the FR and hope to see the requested functionality in a
near-future release.

Thanks again.

-Sad Horse
 The Thoroughbred of SYN