Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort and BGP

From: James Lay <jlay () slave-tothe-box net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:41:54 -0600

On 2013-10-11 11:19, Jeff d'Ambly wrote:
Is anyone using snort to signal an upstream provider via BGP for the
black holing of traffic? For example if you get DDOS'd do you want
your internet providers to block the traffic?

--Jeff

I'm putting this one into production soon at points where I should
never see BGP:
alert tcp any any -> any 179 (msg:"BGP seen on Network";
flow:stateless; classtype:bad-unknown; sid:xxxxxxx; rev:1;)

add the below to your threshold.conf file for how often you want to see
this:
event_filter gen_id 1, sig_id xxxxxxx, type limit, track by_src, count
1, seconds 1200

I thought about adding a flags:S; but thought eh...might as well see it
all :)  You'll want to change the xx's to however you have your private
SID's as.

James